Thursday, July 03, 2008

Give me a brazilian

Today, at the xtian book store amongst the books and dvds I found a few shelves of children. My first thought, was what a great idea, but the more time I process it-it just doesn't sit well with me. Having worked with orphans and sponsored kids around the world, I am so excited about child sponsorship, but selling them next to books? I would hate to hear someone say, "I,ll take these mints-and a hondurian, oh your out? Got any brazilians?" on the flip side the kids don't care how they get sponsored- they get to eat and that is all that matters...but on our end what perspective are we creating of these kids if we make them an item in our shopping cart? Sort of dehumanizes them...which destroys the very motive that should be driving us to sponsor a child. What do you think?

Bryan McLemore
Global Passion Ministries
707-252-9725
fax 707-252-9723
100 Anderson Road
Napa, CA 94558
www.globalpassion.net

No comments: